First, allow me to explain what I mean by feminism because I know there are many waves and varying degrees of feminism. I am not saying that women are not equal to men and have no place in the workplace, or shouldn’t be able to vote or have access to medical care or education. I’m not saying that we should be viewed as men’s property or be abused. When I speak about feminism, I am referring to women who believe that marriage does not equate to becoming one in person and Spirit and still live separately. Feminism in which there is a separate bank account and no consideration for their husband or recognition that they are to be the head of the home. This is what I mean when I say feminism. So, please keep this in mind as you read this post.
Is Feminism Biblical?: 5 Reasons To Submit To Your Husbands
Many women, and even some men would probably look at my life and think that I am “trapped” in some horrible marriage where my husband is controlling and horrible. But, that is not how I feel at all. I love the set up of our marriage and I believe it is honoring and glorifying to God that I live in this way. So, just in case you know me personally, allow me to clarify when I say something like, “I’ll have to check with Steven”, or “I need to see if it’s okay to take out money from the bank”, I am not going to Steven like a child goes to his parents permission to have candy before dinner. Rather, I am going to my husband out of respect and recognition that he is the head of the household and knows our financial situation best.
Furthermore, my husband is the spiritual head of our household and he makes the final decisions for our family on all things. Let me be clear though so there is no confusion, our home is not a dictatorship. We discuss things and then, having a biblical husband who cares for me and therefore he cares what I have to say and he is thoughtful of me when making decisions.
So, I’ve decided to list 5 verses which support that. as wives, we should submit to our husbands and recognize their role as the head of our home.
- 1 Peter 3:1-5, ” Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands,”
- Colossians 3:18, ” Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.”
- Ephesians 5:22-24, “Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.”
- Titus 2:3-5, “Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.”
- 1 Timothy 2:11-15,”Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.”
If we are women of God and abide by His truths and His commands, then we will honor our husbands by submitting to them. I can’t speak for others, but as for me and my home, there is no place for feminism. I believe feminism and the feminist movement is something that is of this world and I don’t believe the Bible supports this view point, so for me personally, I don’t support it for my household.