GOD’s Timing Not OURS

GOD'S Timing (1)

Most, by now, have read/heard/or seen the news about a 29 year old woman with stage 4 brain cancer and has decided to end her life (but not committing suicide) on November 1 of this year (you can find the article here). This has been on my mind since yesterday and I thought I would start this post in a semi-apologetic way, but I can’t bring myself to do so. You see, to apologize for my stance on this would speak over my words in ways that would totally undo what I am saying. I don’t want to whisper God’s Word, and I especially don’t want to whisper His Word only when I feel like I will be met with all around agreement. I want to shout out what He has to say, not what I do and about all things, not just when it will be met with a round of applause. So, I may not have the popular opinion and I may offend some, but the Lord never promised in His Word that it would never offend others, in fact it promises the opposite in 2 Timothy 3:12-15 which says,

Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

So, moving on, if you had asked me 3 years ago about euthanasia I would have been standing behind her and saying, “Good for her and I wish more states would follow so she wouldn’t have had to move to get the help she needed.” As we all know though that as you age and grow as a person, and in your faith, things change. So, over the past few years my view on this has changed because I have come to the realization that this life is not mine, and it is all God’s timing and every day is a blessing. The Lord is the only one who knows the plans for my life and He has me in His hands. I know you are all probably sick of me quoting this verse (at least those who frequent my blog), but Jeremiah 29:11 is such a reminder to me that His promises are good and are to benefit me in accordance to His will.

It is just so upsetting to me because I believe she was given a few months ( don’t quote me on this I haven’t been able to re-watch the video right now) from her doctors before she will die or begin to progress to where things are painful and in constant suffering. It hurts me because that doctor can not speak to every single case out there and that doctor can not say for certain. She could have a year or longer before things went south, and instead she has picked a day to die. She says, “There is not a cell in my body that is suicidal or that wants to die,” she told People Magazine. “I want to live. I wish there was a cure for my disease but there’s not.” I can not begin to imagine the turmoil and the difficulty of finding out you have cancer, then find out it is a terminal cancer, and then find out it is aggressive and you’ve been given a certain number of months to live, but I do know more than a few stories of people who were diagnosed and given a prognosis of a couple years, year, or less for their disease or cancer and outlived what they were told. My sweet sweet uncle passed away from pancreatic cancer after fighting it over a year and I am so thankful that he chose to spend his last days fighting for his life and did not simply give up, had he chosen not to fight he might never have seen me one last time or met my husband or son before he passed. Although I can’t imagine what she must be going through, I can only pray the Lord would give me the strength to trust in Him and fight for my life and for my family. I don’t want to be so greedy and in need to be in control of my life that I would rob the Lord of doing what He would have for my life and take things into my own hands.

I do want to say this, I am not questioning this woman’s salvation or where she is or isn’t going when she dies, but I am saying she is taking control of something that is not our place to take over, and in her decision to cut her life short she is choosing to miss out on opportunities the Lord could use to grow her or have her come to Him. How sad that people are applauding her and not mourning her decision to have predetermined and set a date to pass away. I am praying for her and for her family and I pray, if it be His will that she would have a change of heart and mind and place her life in His hand.

Advertisements

15 comments

1. Branda McLellan · · Reply

“I have come to the realization that this life is not mine.” And neither is Brittany Maynard’s.

“I don’t want to be so greedy.” Wow, so you insinuate that she’s greedy because of her decision?
    Definition of greed: excessive or rapacious desire, especially for wealth or possessions.

Suicide is not “greedy.”

The Bible tells us that at the moment of salvation a believer’s sins are forgiven (John 3:16; 10:28). When we become a child of God, all of our sins, even those committed after salvation, are no longer held against us.

This whole blog oozes with disgusting venomous judgment.

Perhaps you should choose instead to live more like Jesus, and instead of being judgmental of others, you love them. I can only imagine the awful things that you would not want people to judge you for.

You do not walk in Brittany’s shoes, you do not know her specific medical diagnosis or the test results that lead to it, you are not studied or received a doctorate, you are not well-versed in her particular type of cancer, and you most definitely will not suffer her pain or pay her medical bills.

But most of all, you are not God, not even close. So drop the judgment.

2. Branda McLellan · · Reply

Also, I found it terribly disrespectful to not even bother using her name. Her name is Brittany Maynard. Or did you fear a google search for her name would pull up your vile blog about her? Or did using her name make too hard to be so self-righteous in her face?

1. Well I didn’t use her name honestly, because I didn’t even realize I hadn’t but also because this spoke not just to her but in a more general sense, as she is not the first and won’t be the last to commit and use physician assisted suicide, because let’s just be real here, that’s what it is called and it is what it is by definition. If you find my writing to be vile and what not you can certainly click my unfollow button, as it is what it is there for, or simply scroll on past my posts. As for the words I said , you take issue with the Word of the Lord, not with me.

1. Branda McLellan · ·

I do not take issue with the Bible. I take issue with you being judgmental and hurtful to Brittany Maynard, someone already in a world of hurt. I will not just stand by and “click” the unfollow button. If you cannot stand criticism, then don’t post it on the world wide web, save it for your journal at home.

Does it make you feel better about yourself to post such a vile blog about this woman? That you can sit there in your chair of self-righteousness and admonish her for her decision? Jesus would love her through it, not kick her while she’s down. You were not simply urging her to live, you cast judgment on her. Vile.

2. I am sorry that you feel I have been judgmental and hurtful to her, as I stated in the post, I do and I am praying for her and her family and I do urge her on to live and put her life in the hands of the Lord. I hear and understand you feel my blog is vile and judgmental, as you have said multiple times now, and if I couldn’t handle the criticism and feedback I would take your advice and begin to journal and not post on the world wide web. Having said that, if you continue to say the same things and put me down verbally for having an opinion differing fro yours I will no longer accept your comments. I value input and I am fine with you not agreeing with me, and feeling you need to say your peace is completely understandable. We are all adults here and sometimes being mature means agreeing to disagree and being done with it, and if that is where we need to land then that is fine. As for the Word and where the Word stands on this issue, I can assure you it does not stand for or condone suicide and taking life into your own hands. Psalm 31:15, “My times are in your hand; rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors!” 2 Corinthians 1:9, “Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.” Again, I am not questioning her salvation, and I am not the Judge but I do know it is a tragedy that she is taking her life into her own hands and forfeiting anything the Lord might have planned for her. I can not fathom what she is going through and I can only imagine how hard this must be for her and her family, but I know where the Lord stands on this and again if you had asked me 4 years ago I would have stood with you, but the Lord has convicted me and showed me that this life is not mine, it is HIS to do with as He wills.

3. Branda McLellan · · Reply

I do not “feel” like you’ve been judgmental. You have.

“greedy” “give up” “need to control” “rob the Lord”

Your post was not written to encourage her to choose life. Your post was written so you could cast judgment.

Then you say that I cannot handle criticism and not a second later threaten to not allow my comments. Do you really not see the hypocrisy?

Had Brittany Maynard read this, do you believe that the judgmental overtones of your blog would make her reconsider or turn her off completely to your input? It’s the latter.

You could have simply shared the stories of Elijah, “1 Kings 19:4-5
    He begged the LORD, ‘I’ve had enough. Just let me die! I’m no better off than my ancestors.’ Then he lay down in the shade and fell asleep.”

Or Job, “Job 6:11-13
    What strength do I have to keep on living? Why go on living when I have no hope? Am I made of stone? Is my body bronze? I have no strength left to save myself; there is nowhere I can turn for help.”

Or even Jonah, “Jonah 4:8
    During the day the LORD sent a scorching wind, and the sun beat down on Jonah’s head, making him feel faint. Jonah was ready to die, and he shouted, ‘I wish I were dead!’”

And then encouraged her to face her obstacles knowing that the Lord is beside her.

If she is saved, she is saved. Not even her own sin can make God take back her salvation.

I do agree, that God would prefer her to not do this. But you will not help her or help others by casting judgment or by looking down on people. You help people by loving them and with encouragement. I, for one, will pray that Brittany does not read this blog. She doesn’t need judgment and more hurt put upon her. She needs to feel love. And just maybe, that love will help her along her journey.

4. Okay…well at least we can agree on something. You criticize me for the way in which I wrote my blog, and I get that, but instead of starting your comment the way you wrote this last comment you met me with hate and judgment and called me vile….had you simply placed it the way you said this, and even maybe a tad nicer, I would have conceded and said, you’r right I like how you used those circumstances and I think I will revise my post. But you met me with anger and hatred in your comments, anyways I can agree with this last comment and I highly doubt Brittany will be reading my blog, I assume she is in the midst of spending time with the family and living what little time she has left out and not sitting inside reading what people have to say on here. Only God knows the state of her salvation and I hope she is saved and I am praying for her family. Although we disagree I do appreciate that you took the time to visit my site and, although I am SURE you don’t care for me of my blog and the other posts on here, I hope you will maybe give some of my other posts a look and I hope you have a blessed evening.
    Your sister in Christ, Chelsea

1. Here is a woman’s blog about her experience…. love the end where she says,” I will die with dignity, just not on my time.”

5. “You reach people by loving them. Not by judging them. You should really open your mind to that thought (instead of immediately running to the defensive) and dwell on it. I understand that your ego is trying to protect yourself, but it also does not allow you to grow as a person.”

How in the world can you tell Chelsea to meet people with love in their words and hypocrisy far from their message, yet you post on her blog attacking her. Not once did she personally attack or bad mouth this poor girl. Every angle was taken to assure her readers would understand that she feels so sympathetic for this girl and the choice she has to make; however, the choice is what led to this blog and the belief that taking a life that God gave–gifted you with and placed the Holy Spirit in you to carry–and choosing on your own to destroy such a life is a sad, harsh choice that once taken cannot be changed, and is quite frankly a decision that, yes, isn’t a choice for us to make. Whether I agree or not with Chelsea–and I do agree–doesn’t change the fact that you came to her about her writing with venom in your words, judgement and sarcasm cast upon her, and the very hypocrisy you tried to pinpoint in her. Look not into the sins and choices of others before first examining your own choices, thoughts, and the best approach in sharing such thoughts. People are not persuaded through the judgement that you cast upon them, or the ugly stones you throw in the form of words, they are changed through love. After all, God is love. Not one thing did you post in love, whereas, though you may not agree with Chelsea, this whole blog is laced with a very poignant sense of sadness that displays her underlying care for the issue and the passion toward those who have to make this choice, a passion to help deliver them from the temptation to end suffering in a way that takes God’s plan into one’s own hands. It is divine to make such choices, and as mortals, we cannot ascribe our taking divine actions to something such as physical pain or sorrow. If someone mentally depressed has committed suicide, how would that be different than physician assisted suicide due to cancer? Both illnesses end in the patient’s decision to determine when God’s gift is no longer deemed worth it.

I do digress by sharing my opinion on the blog (though that is why I read blogs)! My soul catalyst for commenting is to share how disheartened I am by the bitter and glaring tone in Branda’s commentary.

As my students say “so many flavors, and yet you gotta choose to be so salty!” So many ways to come across–so many lovely ways to approach someone and help them to better see your view, and yet, you stay bitter in your methodology.

Great thought-provoking post, Chelsea! Don’t lend the devil a foothold to your heart through the discouraging words of others. Sometimes wolves come to us with the veneer of being a sheep.

1. Branda McLellan · · Reply

Lol, yes, you missed the intent. I was purposefully placing the writer in “defense” mode, so much so that the writer could not see the real message, which was to not be so judgmental towards Brittany.

The reason for that was clearly shown. When I approached the writer in a kinder way, it was only then that she was open to receive my message. The same applies to the way the writer was being judgmental and coming across wrong.

Her intent to be helpful towards Brittany or anyone else in her shoes was completely missed when she decided to be judgmental and look down on them. Anyone, Brittany or others in a similar situation, would be turned off by this blog with it’s judgment.

Was the purpose of this blog to inspire and help them to choose life? Or was it written so the writer could be judgmental? Given her words, “greedy” “give up” “need to control” “rob the Lord,” you can see clearly she was judging them, not helping them or inspiring them to choose to live.

1. OK Branda youve made your point. I think it’s time to move on now…. This happened a month ago, she made her decision and is now gone from this world. I appreciate your input and for checking out my blog and I hope this won’t keep you from coming back to check out more of my writing, but I feel like this has been beaten to death and its time to move on…

2. Caitee jean · ·

I fail to see how you have any credibility or experience as to say that “anyone” or “anyone” in this young woman’s shoes would find Chelsea’s post judememtal or that they’d disagree. Clearly there are differing opinions, and that’s why the situation is much “debated” and why Mrs. Maynard felt so strongly–precisely because its debated. You grossly generalize when you blanket statement “anyone” or everyone into your opinion and judge those who do not share in your beliefs and opinions. You did not kindly come to Chelsea to build her up. Based on your writing, you felt she was wrong, and you aimed to show her the error in her ways through attacking her. It’s clear you two disagree, and clear we disagree as well. So with all due respect to our differences and the different ways we each handle things, God bless and goodbye.

2. Branda McLellan · · Reply

I was replying to “caiteescampus” in response to her comment. Nothing more. If I wanted to beat a dead horse I would have discussed Brittany Maynard’s decision. I did not.

1. Okay, glad to hear it. Hope you’ll keep reading my blog and I’m sorry we had to agree to disagree. You did give me pause on how I approach things so I just want to say thanks for that!

3. Branda McLellan · · Reply